There was only one torch


 Hilarious Google Search Results!

There was only one torch. Yes, I'm sure there was only one!" A sad smile lit up in Terry's wrinkled face and he nodded knowingly: "I hoped so! It will end very soon, now!" Not getting his point I asked him: "What do you mean with it will end very soon, Terry?" "It means that very soon the last of their offspring will die and they will be redeemed. It will end very soon!" he told me. "But how can you know that, Terry? The last one of them might have a huge family left! It might still go on for ever!" I uttered to him. He smiled at me: "Did I forget to mention the name of their leader? His name was Roderick of Wheatfield, a violent man, mercenary for the English crown and murderer of this nameless village!" I did not get what this was supposed to mean and before I could tell him that, he told me: "My name is Terrence Wheatfield, Bruce! I am the last one living. I don't have any family left! With me, the curse will die and all this will find an end! Years ago I discovered a very old family bible. Somehow Roderick learned about the curse. Don't ask me how! He was very troubled, despite his violence he was a very God fearing person. Odd but the truth. So he wrote everything down in his bible as a kind of confession before God. And almost 600 years later I learned about it." I was astonished. I could not believe what I had heard. "This was the reason you moved here? You knew you were the last one!" I exclaimed. He shook his head: "Though it was the reason I moved here I did not know that I was the last one until you told me about the torch. I never went there in the night of the New Year's Eve. I came here often, almost everyday throughout the year but never on December 31st. I was just to afraid to find out!" I nodded understanding his reason. "You might still live another 20 years, Terry!" I said and he shook his head again. "No, I don't have much time left. I've got cancer and I'm already living on borrowed time!" he explained to me. This revelation shocked me for I came to like that gentle giant in the few hours I knew him. He must have realised what I felt: "Don't you worry, son! I led a good life and now it is time I went to my little Rose, again!" We stood there in silence looking at the valley which was a graveyard and I said a silent prayer. Suddenly, Terry put his hand on my shoulder and said: "Well, let's get this car of yours fixed, shall we!" Then we walked on towards the A82. Of course, Terry got my car running within minutes and I thanked him profoundly and bid him good-bye. It was not a good-bye forever for I visited Terry very often over the course of the next two years. We became very good friends and I overcame my reservations about the Highlands. Terry showed me their greatness. One day I returned to his little house and I found the windows and the door boarded up. I knew Terry was gone for good and I felt terrible because I was not there for him when he needed my help. But I was pretty sure that he was not disappointed. I do not know where Terry is now but I am certain that he is happy that this valley got back its peace after such a long time of redemption.

share