I kept my eyes closed

 The truth in the world !!

.. then I woke up again and it was wonderfully warm. I kept my eyes closed and took the warmth in. I smelled an open fire and suddenly I felt fear again. Those creatures got me finally. "No!" I screamed loudly and sat up. I forced my self to open my eyes. There was a room, sparsely furnished and an open fire place. I was lying, no sitting on a wooden bed. One corner of the room was like a kitchen with cupboards and an old cast-iron stove with a kettle on it. The bit of light in the room came from an oil lamp. It smelled great in here and I got calmer again. Then, with a loud bump the door was opened, snow flakes came in. The terror came back to me while I waited for the inevitable to enter. After a few seconds a giant came in. He was at least 6 foot 4 inches tall and heavy built. If I had to estimate his weight I would say at least 18 stone. The most wonderful thing about him was the fact that he had a face. An old wrinkled face, wearing the signs of about 70 years. He wore a white beard and an unruly tuft of white hair. "Well, boyo, seems you are with the living again!" he said in a deep friendly voice. "What happened, sir?" I asked the man. "Cut the sir, boyo, me name's Terry!" he replied joyfully. "Thanks Terry! My name is Bruce Mackenzie from Glasgow!" I introduced myself. Terry pulled up a chair to the bed and sat down: "You really are some lucky sod, Bruce! If I hadn't found you in time you might be celebrating the New Year next to St. Peter." he started to explain, "I've heard you cry out when you run against the tree!" "I run against a tree? I can't remember anything!" I answered. "Yes, and by that probably the only tree for miles! You really seem to be the lucky guy!" he shook his head in amazement and did a deep belly laugh. That really seemed like me. No tree for miles but I had to pick the only one to run into. Maybe I should try to find out why things like that always happened to me. "Found you out there and carried you into my humble home. You have been out for a couple of hours know. What does your head feel like?" Terry wanted to know. Apart from a slight headache I felt quite okay. I put a hand to the head and felt a bruise but there seemed not to be any blood. Good news for a change! Meanwhile, Terry went to the stove and filled two cups with coffee, then he came back, sat down and handed me one, "Here have a brew, son!"

share